Thursday, April 19, 2012

Leon

Today, I have just learned the passing of one of my favorite patients.  JLB of Rosehill, NC.  At the age of 60, he passed away last October 5, 2009 at Duplin General Hospital.

I have worked with him after his stroke.  He was one kind of guy who wants to think he was stronger than what he really was.  From using a walker to a cane to being fully independent, I have worked with him on long hours, mostly chatting.  I have enjoyed his company more than he knew.  I have told him stories about me and my country Philippines. I brought him dried mangoes exported from our country.  He really loved them.  Most of all, I enjoyed talking to him.  He was the first black person I have enjoyed time with.

I still remember how he taught me how to put the plowing part of the tractor together.  That was tedious and very heavy too.  I remember the old pick up he was trying to revive, the carpentry he did to do a work station for a computer, the old boat, the watermelons he was supposed to sow when I discharged him.  The last meal we had at Subway, when I drove him to Wallace to grab a bite.
At one time, I lent him my magic sing karaoke mic to have him have a view of what the Philippines looked like.  He was pleased.  I remember his stories about the army when he was stationed in Europe.
JLB, I vividly remember how I first met you.  You opened the door, unstable with your walk, holding on to the wall.  I am glad I admitted you.  I still recall us waiting for the assistive device coming from VA.  And I will not forget how you talked to my Operations Manager when she asked how I was doing with you.  When you complimented my work, she said that I seem to know what I am doing.  You replied, "He knows what he was doing".

JLB, here is what I know:  I know that I felt good when I was with you.  I have deliberately extended our treatment sessions, worked on Saturdays, scheduled you at the end of the day so I would not have to worry staying late at your home and chat long hours.  My heart knows how I have felt towards you.  I wish I could have visited you after I have discharged you.  I surely would have wanted to be with you more and talk with you without thinking about treatment.  I am glad to have been your friend.

JLB, you are loved, more than you knew. My memories of you will not fade.  You are one of a kind.  Rest now my friend.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment