Saturday, November 28, 2009

Studs and Spikes


Due to some constraints in time, I opted to celebrate Thanksgiving Day with friends.  Surely, I missed tasting the dinner prepared by my cousin in MI.  He is currently studying at Culinary Institute of America in NY.  Nevertheless, I enjoyed the adventure of cooking my first turkey. 

Armed with knowledge learned from Chef Alton Brown, I had the foundation on the basic how to's of turkey cooking.  Being a Filipino, I modified the the taste to suit our distinct palate.  It was respectable for a first timer.  The fowl was juicy, flavorful, and had crispy skin.  The sides I prepared were stuffed shell pasta with Italian meat sauce, and apple onion and pistachio stuffin muffin.  We ate at 6pm, which was late as I was informed by friends, because thanksgiving dinner usually starts at 3pm.  What?!  I didn't know that!

The most challenging part was Black Friday.  We went to an outlet  mall 30 mins away from our place attempting to buy ridiculously discounted name brand items.  At 30 degrees F, 12 midnight, standing in line and only had a simple jacket to wear, I have resolved to never repeat such hideous idea.  Sometimes we attempt to do crazy things.

Still, Black Friday shopping continued in the afternoon after waking from the much needed sleep.  This time was a success because I was able to buy John Varvatos Converse high top shoes. They may not be the sought after silver chucks, but mine had studs and spikes.  Cool!  They may be so last season but, at half the price, I'll grab them!

No comments:

Post a Comment