Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Major Major

For the past eleven years, the delegate from the Philippines for the Miss Universe pageant has never entered the top 15.   The last Philippine beauty to make it to the finals was Miriam Quiambao.  She placed first runner up.  That was in 1999.  I remember that I went to AL's house and watched the pageant.  I skipped my licensure examination review for that day. 

It was not really about the Miss Universe pageant that's why I visited my friend.  It was actually his oath taking day for passing the Philippine Licensure Examination for Nursing.  He did not go.  I know how important this day was for him.  But his family, for unknown reasons til now, have bypassed it.  I don't really know.  It may have been that AL just did not like to go.  At that time, I know it will help to just be there for him.  Bonding time!   It was just very timely that the pageant was being aired live.  Spain, Philippines then, Botswana were called.  Miss Botswana was the first delegate they have sent and she won.

This year,  Maria Venus Raj was sent to represent the Philippines.  Despite the controversies that has come out of the inconsistencies the Binibining Pilipinas Charities have found on her birth certificate that caused her to be dethroned, Raj has fought hard to be reinstated.  She was the first winner who got dethroned and reinstated in the history of Binibining Pilipinas.

I was hoping she would win.  I made a pact with my friend that we will watch the Miss Universe next year live if Raj wins.  I was rooting for the poor girl from Bato, Camarines Sur, who lived in the middle of plain rice fields with no electricity, to win the prestigious event. 

For the pinoy gays, Miss Universe is like the Olympics, the World Cup, or the Superbowl.  They do devote their time and emotions to watch the pageant in the hopes that one day, the Philippines will take home the crown. 

Maria Venus Raj placed fourth runner up.  The judges may have felt her nervousness more than anything during the final interview.  The Filipinos who are very conscious of their grammar have made fond of her answer.  Asked by Stephen Baldwin on what is one big mistake she made in her life, and what did she do to make it better.  Her answer, "In my 22 years of existence, I can say there is nothing major, major, I mean, problem I have done in my life because I am confident with my family, with the love that they are giving to me".

One tough question to answer.  No one would dare expose their wrong doings in international events.

Given the same question, if  were in her shoes, I would have answered, "Recently, I was dethroned from representing my country in this pageant due to some inconsistencies with my birth record.  I have fought hard to clarify the issues and be reinstated to be the delegate of the Philippines.  Looking at my fellow Filipinos in the audience, there is only one thing on my mind right now.  And that is - I hope I can make my country proud.  (cue the tear on my left eye)". 

No comments:

Post a Comment