Thursday, October 1, 2009

Paraiso

One summer night five, six years ago, I was with VG and we decided to have a naughty nightout.  Somewhere along the dark roads of Bulacan, we dared to entertain ourselves with cheap music and slow dancing.  Maybe cheap was not the appropriate word for that because the bill caused me all the cold cash in my wallet.  As long as we have gas, we'll be ok.  We headed out home as the newly discovered hideout was about to close.  I still vividly remember the laughs we had and how well mannered my friend was in a jungle of hustlers.  Believe me, it was his idea.  I only obliged to his request. 

While laughing heavily about the remarkable fun time we had, the traffic on the pitch black service road in the wee hours caught our attention.  I hate traffic.  That is a declaration. No questions asked.   I am a safe drag race driver.  More to our surprise, a young lad was knocking at VG's side of the window.  VG was afraid that there was a violent man running amok or something that will endanger us.  The lad shouted for help.  There was an accident.

VG and I looked at each other for a moment. Years of friendship earn you a power for telepathy.  Read each other's thoughts.  We decided to help.  At that hour, you will be lucky if help from the police will come in an hour.  And because we regard ourselves as supreme beings, thinking we are the most beautiful creatures that ever graced the earth, the high heavens smiled at us and help arrived in five minutes in the form of the local town surveillance team, more popularly known as barangay tanods, a therapist and a pharmacist.

The report was that a collision happened between a motorcycle and a bicycle.  Weird thing to happen considering the time.  The boy riding the bicycle was rushed to a nearby primary hospital.  The two young men on the motorcycle however were still at the scene.  The driver of the motorcycle was doing ok.  The passenger however, sustained cuts and was having intense pain on his left leg.  Since no other vehicle was available at that time, we decided to bring the lad to the hospital too. 

Inside my pick up truck, I asked VG to attend to the wounds with the boxes of alcohol swabs I have diligently collected at work.  I call that stealing with a noble purpose.  I continued with asking about some information and the accident.   It must be the strong alcohol I have paid four times its price at the bar but, I swear, was my friend flirting?  I have to give it to VG.  I could never think of a worse time and situation to flirt. 

At the hospital, the only person manning the so-called emergency room was a newly graduate nurse.  All she did was to attend to the wounds with cotton and alcohol.  I doubted if they even have any stronger pain medication other than paracetamol.  I talked to the boy riding the bike.  He told me his version of the story.  Clearly I was not after the truth.  I only wanted to get his parents' numbers and call them right away.  Just for the record, upon quickly doing an assessment, there were no major problems, no head trauma, no fractures... just bruises and abrasions.   The patient I brought in however, was still in pain.  Since some of my patient's friends are at the hospital now and would be able to talk to the boy's parents once they come in, we decided  to bring my patient to the hospital I know in Pampanga.  I still know some people who work at the emergency room whom I know won't give me a hard time.  Well, the real agenda was to play drunk cupid.  It was a dating game show.  Thirty minutes of question and answer on every out of this world topics were covered.  VG even tried to pair me up with the patient's best friend.  Mind blowing!  We laughed so hard when we came to know that the best friend just got married a week ago.  What's with the married people?! I need a break!

A short stop at the bank was needed.  None of us had any cash. Charity works round the clock.  Anything to make that night memorable for my friend, I would do.

At the hospital, none of my friends were on duty.  Nevertheless, the staff attended us well.   An x-ray was done to finally rule out  possible fracture.  The wounds were cleaned and wrapped.  It was early morning.  I thought it was time to put everything in order.  Prescribed with strong pain medications and antibiotics, we went to the pharmacy to buy the medicines.  This is the shining moment of the pharmacist to show his importance and to announce to take one to two tablets every 4-6 hours for the pain medication and one capsule two times a day for the the antibiotics.  The sun is about to rise.  I really need to call it quits. 

The patient's gang in bikes, gathered at a gasoline station nearby the accident area, were worried.  Revelation.  Their friends came out of my truck along with two gorgeous bundles of fabulousness.  The amazement in their eyes was all worth the adventure.  They said their thank you's, we said our welcomes, all said their goodbyes, and that was the show for the night.

Around lunch time, I woke up with a message on my phone.  VG thinks he is in love.  I need a bottle of Absolut Vodka... Grey Goose will be a treat... Jose Cuervo will put me back to sleep!

Two days later, I was invited to a dinner. Some kind of gesture of appreciation for all the help we have extended.  The patient was doing well, no fracture, just a bad sprain.  I politely declined the invite.  With a smile, I thought to myself.... if you only knew my type....

No comments:

Post a Comment